Monday, March 19, 2012

IAM Thinking about the wonders of teaching

"While we try to teach all about life, students teach us what life is all about." ~Angela Schwindt

“A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell, where his influence stops.” Henry Brooks Adams

“I've come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It's my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child's life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or de-humanized.” Dr. Haim Ginott

I could go on for hours about why I love teaching, and I could inundate this post with teaching quotations that really resonate with my experience and what I hope to accomplish in the classroom. And, I'm sure, there will be other posts about teaching later in this blog. But for now, I wanted to acknowledge what IAM Thinking...I have been really appreciative about my profession lately. Teaching gives me an energy and a high like nothing else in this world. It is amazing to think that I have the power to empower and influence students positively. If you think back to all different phases of your life, I am sure you will find a great teacher somewhere in there. I want to be THAT teacher to some.

I mentioned last post that being told that I have inspired someone is the best compliment that I have and could ever receive. The quotation by Henry Brooks Adams really sums up that ideal--to know that even one small thing that I have said to a student, perhaps even in passing, has made a difference in their life for the positive, that has resonated with them, that has helped them overcome an adversity, or to make them think differently about something, really speaks to the marvels of teaching.

This past week, I had some wonderful experiences that really reaffirmed why I love teaching and know that it is the career for me. First of all, I have been emailing back and forth with many of my former students from both public school and from the language school where I currently instruct. It has been an amazing feeling to know that I can still teaching and coach them and be involved in their lives long distance. I am happiest when I am helping others make sense of their own lives. I love knowing that I am in a position to encourage them---As Dr. Ginott says, I am the deciding factor in my own classroom and my approach to education. Then on Friday a few of my students had to say their goodbyes as they were going back to their home countries. They wrote me the most beautiful cards and told me how I have made an impact on their present lives and potentially on their futures. In the cards, they referred to events and experiences that happened inside my classroom that I didn't realize had any impact at all. Words are so powerful, and not many are blessed to be in a profession where they get to see the direct impact of their words.

Friday night I went back to the high school where I used to to teach to see my former students perform in their annual musical. Being there gave me such an energy, as I saw this talented group of students put on one of the best musicals that I have ever seen. I was reflecting on how surreal it has been to watch this group of students mature and come into their own as people. I felt like they were celebrities up on stage performing, and I experienced a sense of pride that I can only imagine a parent has for their children when they accomplish such accolades. What was even more amazing was, as I was there, marveling over the talents of these students, they were approaching me and thanking ME for the role that I have played in their life and development and telling me how much they miss me. I ran into other students who were there as spectators who were updating me about their future plans for college---some of whom just got into their dream colleges and/or got full scholarships to prestigious universities. Others just told me how much I was missed at the school and updated me about the happenings. I was so overwhelmed with pride and energy seeing my former students and seeing the people who they are shaping up to be. They truly inspire me and remind me what life is all about (excuse my ending a sentence with a preposition).

Teaching is such a unique experience....and I do not take it for granted. As it has been said many times before, we may not make a fortune, but we have the ability to MAKE A DIFFERENCE. How many other people can say that?!

If more teachers got into teaching for the right reasons and ignored the stigma of "oh, you're only a teacher" or "how much do you really make?", imagine how amazing our world would be.

This is what IAM thinking...what about you?!

No comments:

Post a Comment